Friday, February 1, 2013

Framed Chalkboard Menu Re-purpose

 After making the chair yesterday I was still feeling a little crafty and since I had the paint out anyway I grabbed a picture frame that I had laying around. I've been trying to figure out how I wanted to use this picture frame for awhile now. It was in my sons nursery and now that my little monster is older he has informed he doesn't want "pictures for baby rooms" in his room anymore.
After two coats of my homemade chalkboard paint I did a little distressing and that's when its started feeling like it needed to become a frame for a chalkboard. It still didn't wow me though and felt like it needed something more so I went searching through blogs looking for how to make fabric rosettes. In all honesty it's taken rosettes a little while to grow on me but I think I'm finally loving them.
So this is what the frame ended up looking like...
 
I wish I could remember which blog had the tutorial that taught me how to make these rosettes. I know I tried making them using about 5 tutorials before finding one that I could work with. I made five rosettes(if you could even call them that!) that had to be scrapped because they were rough looking.
This is how my rosettes ended up looking...
 
The pictures a little fuzzy, one of these days I'm gonna either buy a new camera or get what ever is wrong with mine fixed.
 
So I went to Hobby Lobby and got some brush on type chalk paint and some wood and just followed the instructions on the bottle. And now we have this...
 
and I just have to try to be patient enough to let it sit 24 hours before using it. I'm going to try very hard but I'm just not a very patient person.
 
I am loving how it turned out and can't wait to get this home buying process done so I can use it in my new kitchen.
 
*UPDATE* I used a sheet of balsa wood because I'm cheap thrifty and it has held up just fine. After I put the thin little sheet of wood in I put the piece of glass in behind it to stabilize it a bit. I was worried the balsa wood would soak up water when I tried to wipe it off but it didn't.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment