Saturday, February 9, 2013

Chalkboard Storage

 
Like most moms I know, I always want more storage and organization. That's where I got the idea for this next project I did. It was more boredom and having things on hand and less about saving money but it worked out well for both.
Every year for Christmas my grandmother bakes a couple hundred dozen cookies and sends them to our family which is scattered all over the U.S. So every year we get some of these little boxes in the mail.
please ignore the inhaler in the background the little monster has had a bit of an asthma situation the past few days
 
Clearly this look is not one that you would want sitting on your counter year round. In an effort to stick with my "reduce,reuse,recycle" mantra that my child drilled into me(they covered recycling at school last year and ever since he has been obsessed with recycling and the fact that some people actually litter?!) I decided to try out re-doing this.
 
Seasoned the whole box which took a minute :)

 
Mod podged some leftover fabric to the inside so it wouldn't be ugly on the inside
 
I had my chalkboard paint left over from my framed chalkboard.
I did my two coats(one vertical,one horizontal) and waited my 24 hours for it to cure and now I have this adorable little chalkboard box to use as storage and I never have to wonder what's inside because as its contents change I have plenty of space to draw myself a cute little label.
 
 
 I'm actually thinking of putting a hole in the back and making it a charging station but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that idea just yet so for now it will be holding Xbox controllers and battery packs because we have far too many of those things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment